The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One 12hr midnight dreary

It's 4am, then it's 5. The test tubes tink and chime against the metal rack, in time with my steps. These halls are empty, quiet if you're not used to the calm. The hospital in the day is a different creature than what you would expect to encounter in the middle of the night. From here in this far corner, I can hear everything.

The city is lovely from up here. Most laboratories are in the basement, so I feel lucky to have a view from the 6th floor. There's a glass bridge that connects the newer part of the hospital to the older structure and each time I cross it on my way to deliver specimens to micro I feel like I know the city a little more personally. A secret place where Detroit reveals itself to me in a way most others are not as privileged to see. The nature of my job affords me the simple pleasure of watching the sunrise behind the Fischer building, my favorite structure.

With 6am comes the slow trickle of fresh specimens. All around me patients are stirred to rise, prodded by their nurses to expose their blue veins to the needle or to void the contents of their bladder. In another hour I'll be heading out of here, leaving the hustle bustle of the day for the comforts of a pre-warmed bed and a sleepy lover.

Moments like these are small blessings. A slow night that affords me just a little time for reflection. For once in my short life I can honestly say I'm really proud of myself. I did all that the 18 year old set out to do and I even got a title out of it. I never in my wildest, most tripped out hallucinations did I imagine I would get to do all these awesome things before my quarter life.

I passed my exam now it's onto the next. I've decided to take it relatively easy on myself and just get really good at my job for the time being. In a few more grand in the bank and I'll start taking a classes that will gear me up for grad school. But before I devote myself to my studies once again, I'm goin to get really good at what I'm currently doing, because everything I do now is a lesson, preparation for working out in the field. Since the laboratories the the most dire countries won't have the luxuries I'm use to. I'll have to rely on my collection of knowledge if I mean to be of service.

No comments: