The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Working overtime on a slow day

First step is first. Redundant? Maybe, but plans gotta start somewhere. I registered for a Spanish class offered to hospital employees from U of D Mercy at a discounted price; HFH will pay for my tuition and books. I really couldn't pass up a deal like that. 3 credits for one time non-refundable payment of $185, no need to haggle even. To work with primeros pasos they wish that we have a good grasp if Spanish so this offer came most serendipitously.

Since the wedding + DEMF will eat up most of my vacation time, this medical trip won't happen until sometime next year. I need to work and save so that I can have a month or more to give. This unavoidable wait period is in many ways necessary, for this time will not be wasted. Besides learning the language and culture the organization could use donations. This gives me an opportunity to collect donations to bring with me to the clinic. The next step is writing my letter of intent.

I think it's time I get back on living life via a planner. At one point it drove me crazy, but these obligations don't come with the same doomed pressure that my academic commitments came with. Besides this little mission I'm on, I have also made time for a small tissue culture lab at a local hydroponic grow shop. I get my book on growing plants in test tubes Thursday and will begin training!

I've come to terms with traits in my personality I use to not understand. It didnt make any sense to me why I was always putting myself under such immense pressures. contradicting as it was to sign on then complain about the work I brought upon myself, I realize now I did this to myself in a you'll-thank-me-later kind of way. When it comes down to it, I preform better under (moderately) stressful conditions. I push myself harder when it feels like do-or-die. In that way my successes are much sweeter when it's just me against the odds. It's just the speed I operate. I'm a deep sea creature accustomed to the weight of water, I don't know if I could survive without it.

No comments: