The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Friday, February 12, 2010

My Sanctuary

Microns
(Cryostat: slices and dices)
Sections of rat brains and spinal cord I sectioned

Electrophoresis. Electric current drags, in this case Candida prolepsis, DNA across the gel.
Lobby of the Lande building

Places where my days are spent, saturated in science. I've been settling into Henry Ford Hospital quite nicely, getting the hang of things quickly, and making friends while doing it. I'm going to credit my superior people skills, they've saved me hundreds already. I see possibilities around every corner and in every encounter. I feed off the energy in that place. It's my launching pad and I'm counting down.
Akins's lab is a cozy place for me. For reasons I fail to understand, I find refuge in research labs. Maybe it has to do with the fact I am unreachable when I retreat into those places. I emerge at my own free will or whenever the task at hand is complete. Often, the projected time of completion gets delayed which keeps me against my wishes, but it brings out something else in me. It makes me work harder, stay longer, be stronger. Constantly challenging my mental and physical limits. Fueling me to make bridges where synapses were once absent (and fucking crossing them!)
Although in ways this fluffs my peacock feathers in full display, some part of me wonders (quietly) if I'm just fooling myself. One hand pulls away the curtain while the other is putting on the charade and I ... well, I just sit there astonished. Suppose it's right, even wise, to chart the territory of your personal limitations.

No comments: