The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A timeline in a coffee stain


My face is warm. My hands are cold. I'm at the coffee bean, where random musicians come and go. Sometimes strangers, sometimes weirdos. Sometimes ex-boyfriends, sometimes new friends. Most times just the barista and the smell of freshly baked goods. Endless cups of coffee and my pen for company. I come here to be alone sometimes, but alone amongst people. Alone but for my thoughts. I like to come here and just observe, I'd like to avoid speech if possible. I like to make up stories of the stranger sitting adjacent from me. What's his story, where's he from. Where is he going and can I follow him? I've followed many strangers out of this place. Sometimes into alleys. Sometimes to their cars. Sometimes to the bar.
I still think of Bob once in a while. I met him my first year in college. He told me stories, clearly lies. I went a long with them, asked questions in fascination about his travels to the Arctic. I knew he was a homeless bum. He took his baths in the fountain, always kept the mugs for coffee later, and only purchased chips for 50 cents. I could always count on him to be here when I just wanted some company. Once he showed me into the back garden of a church where we smoked a joint. I haven't seen Bob in quite a few years. I wonder where he lays his head now. I once made the mistake of sitting behind him when we gave him a ride and he smelled like month old rotting socks...if socks could rot.
I met one stranger, who's name I can't recall. I think it was Jeremy. He introduced me to Lisa when I followed him out to the barn. The first night I met her, we got naked under the light of a full moon and jumped in to the warm water. I met a bipolar crazy here, we talked about nothing important to me and vital information to him. After two hours, he swore his love and asked for my hand in marriage. I later met John, in a loose association. Should have known.
Now, I bring strangers here and if I like them enough, I might lead them into a dark alley. My exams - all taken. Not another set for at least a month. Derek appears from the doorway and brings with him a hoard of new strangers. With nothing better to do, no class tomorrow, I think I'll just follow them to whatever bar stool they land on. Coffee is magic and I won't remember their names twenty minutes from now.

No comments: