The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Universal street signs

I'm in the middle of an updating-my-resume-break. I look pretty good on paper, I might say myself. Under my current employment history, it's a bit fuzzy what I should write for Dr. Akins lab. I haven't started the job yet...so it should be brief? This is what his profile at the med school website says:

"Antifungal drug resistance in Candida albicans. As a eukaryote, this opportunistic yeast pathogen is resourceful and diverse in finding ways to evade inhibition by antifungal agents. These include mutation in target genes, mutational or regulatory activation of target and compensatory pathways, drug efflux, and unknown mechanisms. We developed an overexpression system for identification of genes that alter antifungal susceptibility and are inventorying these genes and their effects by RT-qPCR and microarray."

I can't wait to get started. Sometimes I read these Doctors publications and just get blown away by the work they do. How inspirational! Imagine, if one day I too could contribute such important work to the world. It takes a different kind if person to be able to complete such a rigorous program of study and commit to such a narrow (but endless) area of interest. Kudos to all the PhD and doctors of the Earth.
I said before and I stand by this still, if I could only be a stepping stone in history - I'd be okay with that. I just have to keep my chin up, work hard, and keep dreaming. One day, I could inspire someone the way my mentors have inspired me. I am so grateful, so blessed, to have been lead in this direction. Thank you Dr. Peduzzi for being so kind to me these last few years!

"The main focus of the lab is to develop treatments in experimental animal models and help advance these therapies to clinical trials. The most promising treatments include adult stem cells or tissue, matrix materials as a substrate for growth, delivery of growth factors using gene therapy, methods of increasing cellular metabolism, and scar disruptors. By using one's own cells, the problems of uncontrolled growth, rejection, disease transmission, and ethical issues are avoided. Most of the lab’s current effort is directed at chronic, severe spinal cord injury. This lab is probably one of the few labs in the world that specializes in large scale investigation of combination treatments of spinal cord injury that is chronic, severe and contusive. However, the treatments under development should be equally useful in treating head injury, retinal degeneration and other disease and injury states. Techniques used in the lab include behavioral testing, immunohistochemistry, and intrathecal delivery to rats and mice." -Dr. Jean Peduzzi-Nelson

No comments: