The Skinny

My photo
Detroit, Mi
I'm in the process. I'd like to expand on that, but it's in the process. I go about my business under the guidance of gut-feelings and universal street signs. I see myself as a very quiet person. Not because I have little to say, only that my abundant thoughts know not where to start. As a child I fantasized about looking through a telescope to give me truth about the world. It amuses me now that what I am doing is looking down a microscope in an effort to reevaluate my holistic position. I am a loner, a drifter, a dreamer.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Miss Masochist

Pain and pleasure, the line is so fine is there really a difference? I don't think so. I think evolution has built the bridges between pain and peril so strong they can not be distinguished. But what is pain? It's an indication our mortal body is in danger. If you look at an MRI, the same center of the brain are stimulated regardless of pain or pleasure. So... if we know there is no danger in the pain we feel, could we call it pleasure?
For instance, I've been stabbed before (No worries! It was by a rather large safety pin) without knowing I was injured. I only realized something was amiss when my arm had a intensely warm sensation. I only felt the pain when I looked down to notice there was a 2 inch safety pin sticking out of my wrist. Even in children. My brother was 5 when he sliced his foot open. He was fine, he was laughing, only until someone noticed. A combination of the amount of blood gushing out and the expression on my sisters face terrified him and only then did he cry.
I got my naval pierced today - the bottom. Normally, I would have like to do something more interesting but I was acting as a guinea pig for a novice piercer. They tell me I have tough skin and it's never more apparent than when someone is using some gusto to shove a needle through me. It was painful, don't get me wrong - but the euphoria I feel afterwards is ... Oh so nice!
I've spent most of today considering myself. Who I am, what makes me tick, and why I like it so much. The answers are many and they provoke further investigation - however, I'm okay with it. Today has been a beautiful day and I've been marry. Was early to rise and was industrious. Had tea with my mother, who taught me about Chinese herbs and folklore. Got pierced and studied some more with two good friends.
At this moment, I'm sitting in a coffee shop. I'm in the corner of the room reflecting on my days and in the company of musicians. A cup of coffee, a few guitars, and the company of beautiful strangers. I am blessed.

No comments: